Distracted drivers are likely to cause an accident, and knowing what to avoid while driving goes a long way. Distracted driving can result in various injuries, some of which can be severe or fatal. Distractions divert a driver’s attention from the road, affecting their ability to react quickly to potential hazards. Here are examples of injuries that can result from distracted driving accidents.
Whiplash happens after sudden in a crash. It’s a neck injury resulting from intense head motion during an accident. This can cause neck pain, stiffness, and even long-term complications. If you incur whiplash and other types of injuries in a distracted driving accident, a Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer can help. They will guide you on the next steps you can take to get appropriate medical attention and file a claim.
2. Soft tissue injuries & fractures
These include bruises, strains, and sprains to muscles, tendons, and ligaments. These injuries can result from sudden jolts and impacts during accidents. Fractures are also common; the impact in a distracted driving accident can cause bones to break or fracture. Common bones that may be affected include the arms, legs, ribs, and collarbones.
3. Concussions and traumatic brain injuries
Concussions and brain injuries are common in accidents involving a blow to the head. Minor impacts can lead to concussions, while more tragic crashes can result in traumatic brain injuries with lasting cognitive and physical effects.
4. Internal injuries
Internal injuries refer to any damage or trauma that occurs inside the body, affecting organs, tissues, or structures that are not visible from the outside. These injuries happen in car accidents, falls, blunt force trauma, penetrating injuries, medical procedures, or underlying medical conditions.
5. Emotional trauma and psychological injuries
Just like with other accidents, distracted driving accidents can cause emotional trauma. This can be anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Why hire a distracted driving attorney after an accident?
A distracted driving lawyer offers numerous benefits that can significantly impact the outcome of your case. Here is why you should consider hiring an attorney;
- Expertise: Distracted driving laws can vary between states, and you need an attorney with a vast understanding of the nuances of traffic laws. A skilled distracted driving lawyer will effectively navigate the legal framework and ensure that your rights are protected.
- Investigation & evidence gathering: A distracted driving lawyer has experience investigating different accidents involving distracted driving. They will collect evidence such as cell phone records, witness statements, surveillance footage, and other relevant information to help establish liability and build a strong case.
- Insurance negotiations: Negotiating with insurance companies can be hectic. A distracted driving lawyer can handle negotiations on your behalf, which ensures you receive fair compensation for your damages.
You can incur different injuries during a distracted driving accident, and their severity depends on the speed of the vehicles involved. The angle of impact, the use of safety equipment, and the overall health of the individuals involved also matter. To prevent these injuries, avoid distractions while driving; these range from texting, talking on the phone, or using in-car entertainment systems. Always prioritize safe driving practices to protect yourself and other road users.