Are you looking for a way to brighten your smile and get a pearly white set of teeth? Teeth whitening from a dentist can be an easy and effective way to whiten your teeth and give yourself a more confident smile. This guide will explain the benefits of professional teeth whitening, the different types of treatments available, and the potential risks and costs associated with the procedure. By the end of this guide, you will be well-informed about the options available to you for achieving a brighter and whiter smile.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional teeth whitening treatment is the safest and most effective way to achieve a brighter, more beautiful smile. It can help to remove stubborn stains and discoloration caused by food, drinks, smoking, and aging. It is also more predictable and longer lasting than over-the-counter products. Professional teeth whitening can be done in a dental office or at home with take-home whitening kits. It can lighten teeth up to eight shades brighter in one appointment, and the results can last for months. In addition to a brighter smile, it can also improve overall oral health. Brightening the teeth can help reduce plaque build-up and prevent decay. Professional teeth whitening is a safe, fast, and effective way to achieve a brighter, healthier smile.
How to Prepare for a Teeth Whitening Appointment
1. Schedule an appointment with your dentist. Before scheduling an appointment, make sure the dentist you are visiting is experienced and certified in providing teeth whitening services.
2. Brush and floss your teeth. It is important to brush and floss your teeth before your appointment. This will help to remove any plaque or tartar that may be present on your teeth.
3. Avoid certain foods and drinks. Before your appointment, you should avoid consuming certain foods and drinks that can stain your teeth, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and dark-coloured fruits and vegetables.
4. Bring a list of medications and allergies. If you are taking any medications or have any allergies, make sure to bring a list of these to your appointment.
5. Ask your dentist any questions. Before your appointment, make sure to ask your dentist any questions you may have about the whitening process. This will help ensure that you are fully informed and prepared for your appointment.
What to Expect During a Teeth Whitening Appointment
A teeth whitening appointment typically begins with a consultation with a dentist, during which they will assess the teeth to determine if teeth whitening is appropriate and discuss the options available. Then, the dentist will take impressions of the teeth and create custom trays for the patient. These trays are then filled with a bleaching gel and worn for the duration of the appointment. The dentist may apply a protective gel to the gums and lips to prevent any irritation from the bleaching gel. Depending on the technique used, a light may be used to enhance the effects of the bleaching gel. After the teeth have achieved the desired shade, the dentist will apply a fluoride treatment to protect the teeth from sensitivity. The entire process typically takes about an hour.
Caring for Your Teeth After Whitening
1. Avoid foods and drinks with strong colorants like red wine, coffee, and tea for 48 hours after whitening.
2. Avoid brushing your teeth for at least 12 hours after your teeth whitening procedure.
3. Avoid smoking and using tobacco products for 48 hours after whitening your teeth.
4. Use a soft toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to help keep your teeth clean.
5. Use a fluoride rinse to help protect your teeth from staining.
6. Get regular dental checkups and cleanings to help maintain your white smile.
7. Avoid acidic foods and drinks for 48 hours after your whitening procedure.
8. Use a straw to drink beverages to help keep the color of your teeth from staining.
9. Avoid toothpaste and mouthwashes that contain abrasives, as they can wear away at the enamel.
10. Wear a custom-fitted mouth guard while playing sports to protect your teeth.
Professional teeth whitening is a safe, effective way to brighten your smile. It can remove deep stains and discoloration, resulting in a brighter, more attractive smile. Professional whitening is more expensive than over-the-counter whitening products, but it is also more effective and safer for your teeth and gums. The results of professional whitening can last for many years, making it a worthwhile investment for many people.